Maintaining your home’s roof is a responsibility that you should take seriously. After all, it is the first line of defense that against harmful elements. Generally, you need to check your roof twice every year and after a storm. However, it is wiser to inspect your roofing before and after a hurricane.
Before and After Hurricane
A hurricane is a type of a tropical cyclone with winds of 74 miles (119 kilometers) per hour or greater.
Heavy rainfall and high-speed winds often have harsh and long-term effects on your roof. Cracked tiles, molds, and damaged shingles are the most common effects of a hurricane on your roofing.
Here are the measures you should take to protect and maintain your roof during hurricanes.
- Gable roofs are the most vulnerable to heavy rains and wind. Consider installing wooden braces that attach to the rafters at the ends of your gable roof to increase stability. Moreover, consider sealing the vents at the ends of a gable roof to keep pressure from building up inside the house.
- Check if there are missing shingles, damaged flashing, or lacking weatherproofing.
- Replace missing or poorly hammered nails in your shingles.
- Apply a bead of adhesive along the sides of rafters or trusses at the points they connect to the roof deck.
- Check for signs of a leaky roof. Look for water spots or dark patches and lines. Fix them or call a roofing contractor if you can’t find the source of the leak.
- Clean your gutters.
- Check your vents and make sure they pass the building code in your area. Make sure they are attached securely.
- Trim a tree or trees within the proximity to prevent debris from falling on your roof.
- Have your roof inspected by a professional. This is the most effective way to make sure your roof is secure and safe before a hurricane.
- Check the tiles placed on the roof. They may have cracks and water seeping through them. Have them replaced as soon as possible to avoid worsening the damage.
- When the tiles have soaked up water, they will remain moist for days. As a result, molds will grow on your roof. If you don’t seek professional roofing maintenance services as soon as possible, the molds can also penetrate and grow in your house.
- Inspect your shingles. If you see any damage, contact a professional inspector immediately.
- Unblock water build up or debris in your gutters. If there are holes or tears, they need to be replaced with any sagging parts.
- Check your vents for blockages that stop air from escaping. If there any blockages, remove them with an old paintbrush to the air flow again.
- Inspect the flashing. Check for any signs of movement and replace anything that looks rusty.
Preparing your roof and inspecting any damage after a hurricane can be overwhelming. However, this must be a priority project to undergo in anticipating potential damage and risk to you and your loved ones. It is best to hire a trained professional to ensure efficient and safe re-roofing and maintenance.
Contact Roofing Contractors Manhattan today.
These practical tips are from Calgary Roofing Done Right, your Calgary Roofing Contractor. The company specializes in asphalt roofing for residential installations. They also offer an industry Lifetime Installation Warranty.